Also join us on our Facebook page:
Los Angeles Angels
Generated from 62 Previous Games
Kansas City Royals
O/U :8.53.77 = 8.37
Pick: Los Angeles Angels -116
Today’s pick is red hot.
Yesterday, LAA seemed like it had overly strong odds.
Today, it’s only fair to assume that whatever was causing the inflation is still present.
LAA’s strong WL record of late vs KCR’s weak WL record of late.
(PVI bettors would put strong money on KCR based on these numbers therefore giving LAA some strong odds.)
If this was the case yesterday, it’s all the more today.
Let’s look at what we’re actually dealing with:
On the bump for the Angels today is C.J. Wilson:
- Historically, Wilson has 21 at bats OVER .300 AVG, across 2 KCR batters.
- Historically, Wilson has 79 at bats UNDER .300 AVG, across 10 KCR batters.
- Wilson is pitching an acceptable 3.70 ERA all games.
- Wilson is pitching a vulnerable 4.28 ERA on the road.
- Wilson has been put up a sloppy 5.50 ERA L3G.
Did you know:
- Wilson is 4-0 vs the Royals with an ERA of 2.59 and a WHIP of 1.104.
On the bump for the Royals today is Jeremy Guthrie:
- Historically, Guthrie has 53 at bats OVER .300 AVG, across 4 LAA batters.
- Historically, Guthrie has 55 at bats UNDER .300 AVG, across 5 LAA batters.
- Guthrie is pitching an acceptable 3.75 ERA all games.
- Guthrie is pitching an acceptable 3.48 ERA on the road.
- Guthrie has been put up a solid 2.25 ERA L3G.
Did you know:
- Guthrie is 3-5 vs the Angels with an ERA of 4.26 and a WHIP of 1.008.
In general, Guthrie is the better pitcher in 2014.
However, when these teams face each other, without a question, Wilson gets the nod.
If today’s matchup boiled down to only the pitching, we’d cap it at about a 50/50 chance for either side.
That said, there are more elements at play than only the pitching.
Did you know:
- Despite the discrepancy in the L3G ERA, Guthrie has given up 17H L3G, while Wilson has given up 18H for a 1 hit difference?
4.8 RPG all season.
4.9 RPG @ road.
5.1 RPG vs RHP.
5.7 RPG L7G.
4.1 RPG all season.
3.7 RPG @ home.
3.4 RPG vs LHP.
3.0 RPG L7G.
If this came down to only the hitting, LAA would comfortably win 9 out of 10 times.
4.36 ERA all season.
4.75 ERA @ road.
3.66 ERA all season.
4.56 ERA @ home.
So the Royals have a slight edge with the pen today.
That said, there was a rain delay in the 4th inning yesterday, causing both teams to ride their bullpens.
This could prove to be advantageous for the Royals as their pen appears to go a little bit deeper than the Angels’.
Bullpen advantage goes to KCR. It’s unclear how strong, but we cap the advantage at no more than 65:35, worst case scenario.
Todd Tichenor in 2013:
His home win percentage was 47.1%
His Over in totals was 41.9%
Todd Tichenor in 2014:
His home win percentage is 40%
His Over in totals was 71.4%
So far this season, it’s looking like Todd has tightened up his strike-zone and has slightly favoured the visiting team.
While this is good news for the Angels due to Todd not having a home-team-bias…
This is also bad news due to the smaller strike-zone favouring the better pitcher.
This is also bad news due to the smaller strike-zone favouring the lesser bats.
Since the SZ is smaller and could have an effect on the pitching, it’s worth analyzing the pitchers’ arsenal.
According to Pitch FX…
Guthrie throws his:
- 4-seamer 46% of the time.
- Changeup 21.8% of the time.
- Slider 11.3% of the time.
- Curveball 8.4% of the time.
- Sinker 7.8% of the time.
- Cutter 3.1% of the time.
- Ephuus 1.0% of the time.
He’s used to throwing his Slider to paint the corners so that might be a tough pitch, but depending on the height of Tichenor’s SZ, he’ll still have his Curve and Sinker to rely on.
All in all, his #1 and #2 pitchers should have absolutely no problem finding the zone and Guthrie looks all set to pitch a solid game despite the anticipated small SZ.
Wilson throws his:
- 4-seamer 25.2% of the time.
- 2-seamer 24.6% of the time.
- Curveball 21.0% of the time.
- Changeup 16.1% of the time.
- Slider 10.1% of the time.
- Cutter 3.0% of the time.
So once again, we see a crazy arsenal in Wilson as well, and his #1 #2 and #4 pitches will have no problems with the small SZ. Wilson is all set to pitch a solid game.
Did you know:
The Angels are 7-2 when facing Kansas City in the Last 3 Years?
Stats to SUPPORT the LAA pick:
|When ANY MLB Team Played as Road team as a Favorite – During the month of June – Total is between 8.5 to 9.0 – Coming off a Win vs. AL CENTRAL opponent – Coming off vs. Right handed pitcher||25-16-0|
|When LOS ANGELES ANGELS Played as a Favorite – During Last 2 Years – With 1 Under or More||77 – 51 – 0|
|When LOS ANGELES ANGELS played as a road team – During Last 2 Years – With SU Record of 4 Win 1 Lost in L5G||23 – 12 – 0|
|When ANY MLB Team played as a Home team – Coming off vs. American League opponent – During a day game – Total is between 8.5 to 9.0 – Coming off a 1 game loss – Coming off a 4 run lost – Coming off vs. Left handed pitcher||5-11-0|
Stats to THREATEN the LAA pick:
|When KANSAS CITY played as Underdog- in the month of June||6-4-0|
|When GUTHRIE JEREMY ‘s Team played as Home Team- With a spread between 100 and 120||18-12-0|
|When KANSAS CITY team played as a 100 to 120 home Underdog – 3rd game of a series – During the month of June||15-5-0|
While the ATS Matchups clearly have LAA as far better here, there is enough with Kansas to warn us off of betting more than a single unit.
Today’s Prediction: LOS ANGELES to win 6-4 in a slobberknocker.