May 27th, 2017
First off, let’s define the word “value”! According to google definition; “the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.”
In a nutshell;
- The regard that something is held to deserve: Your Money
- The importance of; Your Money
- The worth of; Your Money
- Usefulness of something; Your Money
The value of your money should mean something to you, why would you go make a bet at a sportsbook that offers 20 cent baseball lines, when you can shop around and bet that same game on a 10 cent line?
Let’s take a look at today’s Mets (8.0 -110) at Pirates (-140) game, the Pirates are a buck forty favorite to win, but if you shop around, you can bet that same game for -135.
Here’s another tip from my book, Ron Raymond’s 50 Greatest Sports Beting Secrets:
Tip #15; Attention Shoppers “Look for Value”: You will hear it over and over from handicappers; shop for value, or there’s value betting on this team! Value is found in a team with core players who can get the job done that is being disrespected by the bookmakers. One of the best time to shop for value is when you have an isolated game where the home team is a +10 point underdog and is on a 2 game losing streak. Good teams will always find a way to rebound, but bad teams will always find a way to lose a game. In my view, you need to have a sharp eye to find value and not everybody can spot value. This is where an experience handicapper will save his clients a boat load of money and suggest skipping the game or bet on the dog. When it comes to baseball and hockey, I wouldn’t recommend laying -150 or higher in a bad spot!
How do you find value in a sportsbook?
Let’s take a look at some of my top criteria’s before I invest and open an account with an online sportsbook.
- How long have they’ve been online? I would recommend you wager with a Sportsbook that is reliable and that has been established for 10 years or more.
- How’s their customer service? Hard to gage, but why not test them out by calling their 1-800 number or send them a few questions via email and see how fast they get back to you and if you like the answer they give you.
- How easy is it to use their site? It’s free to open an account, so why not simply register and then play around inside to see if you can understand the procedure on how to lay a bet.
- This might seem silly to some, but find out if they list future odds on who will win the Super Bowl or another major event. I’m amazed why some of the top sportsbook don’t list futures odds.
In fact, if I noticed a sportsbook didn’t post futures odds on an event like the Super Bowl, my instincts would tell me they are nervous about getting sharp money into their sportsbook or getting hit with a big wager from a whale who could use that bet to leverage another bet down the road. If you’re new to sports betting, a “whale” is a bettor who likes to wager big money on games. I’m talking $10,000 to $100,000 on a game.
Nevertheless, if there’s one thing you can take from this article today, shop around for value when picking the right sportsbook for you!
Here are 3 sportsbook I would recommend that have been online for over 20 years.