Long time friend of the site CNOTES, shares his daily views and sports betting tidbits for Sunday, January 10th, 2021. Enjoy!
Top six scorers in the country:
32.5— Justin Jaworski, Lafayette
27.2— Luka Garza, Iowa
26.0— Jalen Johnson, Alabama A&M
25.4— Loren Jackson, Akron
24.8— Cameron Thomas, LSU
23.6— DeVante’ Jones, Coastal Carolina
Americans who have died from COVID-19: 370,082
PLEASE wear a mask (over your nose/mouth) when you go out.
Quote of the Day
‘We come up here, and all week we were told how good they are and how we snuck into the playoffs. Two weeks ago you saw them smoking cigars and getting all excited about beating us, and winning the division, and we were able to come up here and beat them.”
Which two college teams did Russell Wilson play football for?
Red Holzman coached the Knicks to their only two NBA titles, in 1970 and 1973.
Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley played college ball at Duke; he played most of his 5-year NBA career for the Sacramento Kings.
Sunday’s Den: Wrapping up a sports Saturday…….
13) Bills 27, Colts 24:
— Indy outgained the Bills, 472-397; that doesn’t matter.
— Colts had two empty trips to the red zone; no bueno.
— 3rd down conversions: Colts 9-17, Bills 2-9
— Buffalo gets its first playoff win since 1995.
— Bills’ first four drives: 17 plays, 108 yards, 7 points.
— Bills’ last five drives: 43 plays, 293 yards, 20 points.
12) Rams 30, Seahawks 20:
— Darious Williams had a pick-6 for the Rams.
— Cam Akers ran for 131 yards, caught passes for 45 more.
— Jared Goff came off the bench to lead the win after backup John Wolford got KO’d after getting kneed in the head while running the ball— he hurt his neck.
— Seahawks completed only 11 of their 27 passes.
— Third down conversions: Rams 3-15, Seattle 2-14
— Rams outgained Seattle, 333-278.
11) Buccaneers 31, Washington 23:
— Fournette ran for 93 yards and a TD.
— Brady threw for 381 yards in his 31st postseason win.
— Evans caught six passes for 119 yards.
— Washington was within 18-16 after three quarters.
— Heinicke threw for 306 yards; it was his second NFL start.
— Refs had right idea; total of five penalties were called in the game.
10) Texas 72, West Virginia 70:
— Three years ago, Andrew Jones had leukemia; he hit the game-winning 3-pointer in this game, after West Virginia missed two foul shots with 0:10 left.
— Mountaineers led 54-45 with 13:08 left, 70-65 with 1:41 left.
— Longhorns are 10-1; they won their last six games.
9) San Diego State 69, Nevada 67— Aztecs’ G Pulliam hit a runner off the glass at the buzzer to give San Diego State a walk-off home win, after they had blown a 10-point first half lead.
8) Santa Clara 66, Saint Mary’s 64— Herb Sendek has coached at NC State/Arizona State, but went 5-7 in NCAA tourney games so now he is at Santa Clara, where he has the Broncos on an upward path. Santa Clara is 7-2 this year, 27-15 last two years.
7) College basketball upsets:
— Santa Clara (+9) 66, Saint Mary’s 64
— Rice (+8) 71, Texas-El Paso 68
— Miami (+6.5) 64, NC State 59
— Citadel (+6.5) 92, Chattanooga 87
— Rhode Island (+6) 83, VCU 68
— Eastern Michigan (+5) 71, Akron 59
— Kentucky (+4.5) 76, Florida 58
— Middle Tennessee (+4) 67, FIU 56
— Wofford (+4) 48, NC-Greensboro 45
6) USC 73, Arizona State 64— This is the first time ever that UCLA/USC swept the two Arizona schools in Pac-12 play. Sounds surprising, but USC hadn’t won in Tucson for a decade.
5) In this day and age, how the hell do teams not score 50 points but still win?
— Wofford 48, NC-Greensboro 45— Greensboro was 1-2 on the line, for whole game.
— Manhattan 45, Quinnipiac 42— Teams combined to make 9-39 on the arc.
4) Kentucky 76, Florida 58— Wildcats stumbled thru a 1-6 non-conference slate, but won their first three conference games. This was, by far, their best game of the season.
3) Ohio State 79, Rutgers 68— Scarlet Knights were 6-0 at one point; people like me were just assuming that Rutgers would make the NCAAs for the first time since 1991, but now they’ve lost four of their last five games— they need to start winning again. Shooting better than 58% on the foul line would be a big help.
2) Cleveland State 74, Northern Kentucky 71 OT— Vikings are already 8-0 in Horizon League, after losing all three non-conference games. Previous five years, Cleveland State was 27-53 in conference games. Dennis Gates is doing an excellent coaching job.
1) Little Rock 78, Louisiana 76, OT— Teams split pair of 2-point decisions this weekend; the end of Friday’s game was……..unique.
Louisiana was up a hoop with 0:10 left, Little Rock had the ball. Point guard was dribbling near midcourt when the lights in the arena went out, and the auxiliary lights went on, the ones used during player introductions.
Lights stayed off for two seconds, then came back on; the refs never blew a whistle, the guard never stopped dribbling; when the lights came back on, he jacked up a 3 that missed, the refs sprinted off the floor, along with the Louisiana team. Little Rock’s coach was not happy.
Trojans got their revenge Saturday with this OT win; they were down 10 at halftime.